This course teaches storage administrators the essential skills required for implementing, configuring and administering IBM Tivoli Storage Manager. Through hands-on exercises, learn how to install the Tivoli Storage Manager 6.2 server, backup-archive client, the Tivoli Integrated Portal and Administration Center. After the product is installed you will configure the environment. You will create and configure storage pool hierarchies and define policies to manage the flow of data from disk to disk or tape media. Lab exercises will guide you through the steps to back up, restore, archive and retrieve client data. You will also create schedules to run administrative and client processes and maintain your Tivoli Storage Manager environment to ensure recoverability.
The Student Exercises for this course are conducted on a Windows operating system. Linux and AIX users should refer to course codes TSL11 and TSX11, respectively.
Audience: This basic course is for system administrators and implementers who are responsible for implementing an IBM Tivoli Storage Manager 6.2 solution.
- Discuss the features of IBM Tivoli Storage Manager.
- Install IBM Tivoli Storage Manager server and backup-archive client.
- Navigate the administrative interfaces.
- Explain the concepts of attaching a tape library and preparing media.
- Create and manage storage pools and storage pool volumes.
- Describe data deduplication. Define policy to meet business requirements.
- Customize the IBM Tivoli Storage Manager database and recovery log.
- Configure the backup-archive client. Back up, restore, archive, and retrieve client data.
- Protect the IBM Tivoli Storage Manager database and storage pools.
- Schedule administrative tasks.
- Monitor server and client messages and events