This course introduces the Java programming language and how to develop Java applications using RAD v7.5. Students learn the syntax of the Java programming language, object-oriented programming using Java, exception handling, file input/output (I/O), along with servlets and JavaServer Pages. During the course, students will develop and test Java applications using RAD v7.5.
- Java basics
- Basic introduction to Rational Application Developer
- Branching and looping
- Advanced class concepts
- Collections and Generics
- Stream I/O
- Basic introduction to servlets
- Using RAD WebSphere Test Environment
- Basic introduction to JavaServer Pages
- Overview of Enterprise JavaBeans
Extensive practical exercises take students through all major aspects of the design and development of Java programs. Students will be introduced to various wizards and tools available from RAD.
What you will learn
After completing this course, the student should be able to:
- Apply OOP principles
- Design OO applications using abstraction, encapsulation, modularity and hierarchy
- Use Java exceptions to guarantee graceful error recovery for your application
- Create and use inner classes in your program to make them concise and clear
- Do input/output using Java
- Create servlets and JavaServer Pages
- Use RAD for Java application development
This course is intended for programmers who are interested in adding Java to their skills.
This course provides an introduction to Java and Java Enterprise. This course is ideal for those that will not be taking a more in-depth course on Java Enterprise. For those that will also be taking an in-depth course on Java Enterprise technologies the following course may be a more appropriate introduction to Java.