Extend the Power of Microsoft Project to the Project Server Environment
Microsoft Project Server 2010 takes project management to the next level. In this course we will learn to use Microsoft Project 2010 Pro in the Microsoft Project Server 2010 environment creating a truly collaborative project management information system. Build projects at your desk top using the all new Microsoft Project 2010 Pro client and publish your project information and task assignments to the Project Server 2010 databases. Resources will automatically be notified of task assignments through Outlook. Task status will be updated by the resource using the intuitive web based interface to the Project Server. Managers will be able to view project status, task status and resource allocation across the entire enterprise.
Discover the All-New Project & Project Server Interfaces
- Microsoft Project 2010 & Project Server 2010 have totally new interfaces and more new features than any other previous release of Project. Whether you are new to Microsoft Project or an experienced user this 3-day instructor lead training can save countless hours of discovery and learning by trial and error.
- Microsoft has added many new features to an already feature rich product. Learn how to rollup key tasks or events to a simple graphical timeline. View resource schedules in the calendar like "Team Planning" view. View resource allocation across all projects. Track and manage project risks and issues. Create checklist style tasks in the schedule and learn to use the new Manually Schedule task feature. Learn how to use the improved schedule and resource reporting features.
Learn the PMBOK® Best Practices for Creating Microsoft Project Schedules
- Building realistic schedules requires learning how to apply the features of Microsoft Project in a real-world environment. This is a practical how-to course using a hands-on approach to build usable schedules and to manage resource assignments. In this 3 day course, we teach the functionality of Microsoft Project using the Project Management Institute's (PMI) PMBOK process. Through case study and best practice scenarios you will be given the tools that you need to take control of your projects.
What You Will Learn:
- Understanding the Project and Project Server architecture
- Understanding and modifying the Microsoft Project interface
- Understanding the Microsoft Project Server interface
- Setting Microsoft Project Options to best reflect the way you manage projects
- Creating and understanding complex task relationships
- Managing deliverable dates using Critical Path Methodology
- Understanding the relationship between Task Type and Resource Assignment
- Understanding the difference between Duration and Work
- Creating custom fields to identify and analyze specific tasks
- Using custom formulas to find and highlight potential problems
- Creating graphical indicators to track and view variances
- Creating Ad Hoc views using interactive filters
- Developing custom reports
- Viewing resource over allocations within a single project
- Viewing resource over allocation across all of the enterprise projects
- Understanding the process of updating projects within a project
- Understanding the process of updating project through the Project Server website
- Using Project Server websites for collaborative project management
- Creating and Managing project Risks and Issues
- Publishing project related documents to the project website
- Exporting data to Excel and other Microsoft applications
Who Should Attend this Course:
- Everyone who manages projects using Microsoft Project 2010 should take this course. This course is designed to meet the needs of project managers, project schedulers and anyone who will touch the project schedule.