Purpose, Proficiency and Practice. Experience an immersive adventure in business coaching specifically designed for the lean-thinking Agile Coach. You will learn a practical, real-world framework designed to assist you in your coaching practice as you guide your teams and organizations in their Agile journey of discovering purpose, proficiency and skillful practice.
Agile Coaches Enable Individuals, Teams and Organizations to Excel in Achieving Business Success
A coach's primary goal is to enhance their client's awareness of practice and behavior — enabling and empowering the client to realize objectives which may be just outside of their reach. Through thoughtful and deliberate engagement, the coach strives to enhance, in a measurable and sustainable fashion, team practices in order to provide focus on the business goals and objectives of the team and organization. Whether the coach is internal or external to the organization, coaching covers a broad spectrum of teaching, mentoring, problem solving, planning, leadership, team-building and mastery of skills and knowledge.
Purpose, Proficiencies, Practices
Coaches must establish an atmosphere of mutual trust and respect, and create an environment of safety, while challenging and motivating individuals and teams to become their personal and professional best. Coaches must challenge organizations to change culture — establishing new paradigms — which permit agile-lean thinking and quickly deliver value. A coach must be competent, professional and ethical — having business and technical knowledge and an understanding of change and the impact it has on individuals and organizations.
Course Instructional Methods Used
This course is designed to teach, practice and reinforce the core coaching competencies of the Agile coach, enabling the Agile coach to succeed at reaching agreed-upon team and organizational outcomes.
This is an experiential, highly-participative learning experience. The course mixes theory and practical experience to create a hands-on learning environment. Participants will be asked to learn by doing and to coach others and be coached in the process!
Immediate Benefits of Participating in this Agile Coaching Training Course:
- You will define the purpose, mindset and responsibilities of the Agile Coach as a strategic asset of cultural change and business value generation — and apply these definitions to yourself.
- You will review and practice real world techniques for becoming a servant leader and displaying the associated behaviors that come with this key mindset.
- You will learn the ASPE Coaching Framework designed to facilitate your development of expert level coaching competencies in Lean/Agile practices.
- You will conduct a personal Coaching Proficiency Assessment — an inventory of your current skills — and a tool for your continuous learning and improvement.
- You will learn and develop new coaching skills through in-class practice of facilitation, teaching and mentoring.
- You will have new models and tools for assessing the individual, team and organization.
- You will learn new skills and techniques through observation and role play during the interactive exercises conducted in class.
- You will meet and network with personal coaches and mentors — individuals from class — who can help you on your coaching journey.
- You will walk away from course having received feedback on your in-class coaching performance — and personal goals of how to improve your performance.
- You will learn, document and rehearse tools and methods for "being present" as a coach.
- You will improve your self-management and practice methods for being attentive, actively listening, aware in your environment and consciously preparing for coaching.
- Develop a Personal Coaching Manifesto — your foundation to your coaching practice.
- You will create a set of Personal Coaching Principles based on standard industry proficiencies and a personal assessment of your coaching style.
- You will map your current skill level to the ASPE Coaching Framework and create a backlog for charting your personal implementation of new skills learned in the course.
A Three Day Workshop for Experienced Agilists
Utilizing ASPE's Agile Coaching Competencies and Practices Framework, course participants will learn to:
- Address the concepts of team development and provide guidance on how to start and grow teams with an understanding of team dynamics within an organizational system.
- Explore the common hurdles to Agile practice implementation and provide skills to equip Agile teams for success.
- Adopt principles and skills behind professional business coaching and mentoring to enable participants to apply these skills in the appropriate Agile team situations.
Coaches who desire to dramatically improve their professional coaching skills in the areas of teaching, mentoring and facilitation will learn to bring out the best in teams and support them on the road to becoming high-performance teams.
Become an ICAgile Certified Professional in Agile Coaching
This course has been approved and earns all students the ICAgile Certified Professional in Agile Coaching designation upon completion of the course. The International Consortium for Agile (ICAgile) has worked with experts around the world to develop an education roadmap of training and certification for all specialties involved in Agile development.
Learning Objectives are drawn from ICAgile's Agile Coach Learning Objectives (ICP-ACC Track). Course content is based on ASPE's Agile Coaching Competencies and Practices Framework, as well as select communities of practice from the Worldwide Association of Business Coaches (WABC), the International Coach Federation (ICF) Professional Coaching Competencies, and other industry standards.
Additionally, in this course you will learn:
- The definition of Agile coaching and the set of competencies and practices associated with being a coach.
- How to develop ethical and professional coaching standards and agreements and how to apply them in your coaching engagements with teams and organizations.
- The various roles, skillsets and disciplines of an Agile coach – coaching, facilitating, mentoring, teaching and how to develop "your style," moving in and out of those roles while remaining flexible, open and confident.
- The philosophy behind servant leadership and practices and techniques to enable you to become a true servant leader; putting the needs of others first to facilitate the development of high performance teams.
- Agile Coach thinking – the mindset shift necessary to help you, and others, focus on team improvement, value-driven delivery, and leveraging constraints while living in the present moment, staying curious, innovative and having fun.
- Ways to establish mutual trust allowing you to create a safe, supportive environment in which your team can excel.
- Active listening and powerful questioning techniques utilized to leverage your ability to focus on what is being said and maximizing communication and collaboration through seeking and receiving information.
- Advanced techniques in planning and goal setting in order to help the team/organization achieve their goals and your agreed-upon coaching results.
- Techniques in creating awareness and designing in actions and learning which will assist you in managing progress and accountability within the team.
- The use of ASPE's Agile Coaching Competencies & Practices Framework — a framework for understanding and incorporating Purpose, Proficiency and Practices into your coaching engagements.
This course is designed for:
- Project and Program Professionals who aspire to the role of Agile Coach.
- Experienced Scrum Masters, Agile Project/Program Managers or Iteration Managers who want a more comprehensive understanding of the complete range of business and Agile coaching skills.
- Agile coaches who want to enhance and improve their professional skills as Agilists and professional coaches.
- Coaches who wish to increase the ability to break through seemingly insurmountable problems with their teams.
- Agile managers, Product Owners and others wishing to access a broader range of skills in working with teams.
Additionally, this course is for you if:
- You are a skilled coach who wishes to polish your skills and learn a few new tricks and techniques.
- You are a functional manager or Scrum Master with some experience as an Agile coach, but Agile seems like it is not working for your teams.
- You are trying to become a Certified Scrum Coach or ICAgile Certified Expert in Agile Coaching.
- You are coaching or mentoring Agile teams, but you seem to be caught in a rut or just going through the motions and not making progress.