This course is the first of two five-day instructor-led courses for implementing, configuring and administering IBM Tivoli Storage Manager. In hands-on practice, you install the Tivoli Storage Manager 6.3 server, backup-archive client, the Tivoli Integrated Portal, and Administration Center. After the product is installed, you configure the environment. You create and configure storage pool hierarchies and define policies to manage the flow of data from disk to disk or tape media. Lab exercises guide you through the steps to back up, restore, archive and retrieve client data. You also create schedules to run administrative and client processes and maintain your Tivoli Storage Manager environment to ensure recoverability. The Student Exercises are conducted on AIX. Students who are interested in Windows implementation should register in course IBM Tivoli Storage Manager 6.3 Implementation and Administration (TS612). The lecture material covers all supported Intel and UNIX platforms.
Students who need advanced administration skills should also take course IBM Tivoli Storage Manager 6.3 Advanced Administration, Tuning, and Troubleshooting for AIX (TSX22)
Training Paths that reference this course are:
- IBM Tivoli Storage Manager 6.3
- This basic course is for system administrators and implementers who will be responsible for implementing an IBM Tivoli Storage Manager 6.3 solution.
- Discuss the features of IBM Tivoli Storage Manager
- Install IBM Tivoli Storage Manager server, backup-archive client, and Administration Center Navigate the administrative interfaces
- Create and manage storage pools and storage pool volumes
- Explain the concepts of attaching a tape library and preparing media
- Describe data deduplication
- Define policy to meet business requirements
- Manage the IBM Tivoli Storage Manager database and recovery log
- Configure the backup-archive client Back up, restore, archive, and retrieve client data
- Protect the IBM Tivoli Storage Manager database and storage pools
- Schedule administrative tasks
- Monitor server and client messages and events