Hibernate is an open source object/relational (OR) persistence and query service for Java. Hibernate lets you develop persistent classes following common Java idioms - including association, inheritance, polymorphism, composition and the Java collections framework.
The Hibernate Query Language, designed as a minimal object-oriented extension to SQL, provides an elegant bridge between the object and relational worlds. Hibernate also allows you to express queries using native SQL or Java-based Criteria and Example queries.
Hibernate is now the most popular OR mapping solutions for Java, and it has become a de facto standard in Java OR mapping. JBoss has integrated Hibernate into its JEMS (Java Enterprise Middleware System) product line.
The Java Persistence API (EJB 3) specification derives a great deal of its architecture from Hibernate, and the Hibernate annotations are compatible with the Java Persistence annotations. This promises to make Hibernate an even more important technology.
This course covers everything you need to know to begin working with Hibernate in a very short time. It covers all the important concepts necessary to access and update data stored in relational databases. It includes an extensive series of labs to exercise all major capabilities.
Labs: Minimum 50% hands-on labs
Supported Platforms: Java 5, 6, and 7, Eclipse, IBM RAD, other major platforms
- Understand the benefits of Hibernate
- Understand the Hibernate architecture
- Create Hibernate based applications
- Understand and use Hibernate mapping to map persistent objects to the database
- Understand and work with collections & associations
- Value and Entity Types
- Bidrectional and unidirectional
- 1-1, 1-N, N-N
- Use Hibernate's versioning support
- Map inheritance hierarchies using Hibernate
- Work with Hibernate queries, HQL, and Criteria
- Performance tune your Hibernate applications
- Understand Hibernate transaction support
- Understand the relationship between Hibernate and the Java Persistence API (JPA)
- Use the JPA annotations to do OR mapping
- Configure second level caching
- Integrate Hibernate with Java Web Apps and EJB
- Integrate Hibernate and Spring