Discover how and why Voice over IP works in 30 hands-on labs featuring the latest VoIP software.
Gain essential data networking and Voice over IP (VoIP) knowledge in a single, week-long class. In this course, you will learn how VoIP works, why VoIP works, and how to use VoIP. On the first day, you will configure an IP network using Cisco routers and switches, learning IP fundamentals in order to make VoIP easier to understand. The remaining four days will focus on VoIP and IP telephony. The course is 60 percent hands-on labs and 40 percent lecture. The lecture portion of the class uses technically detailed slides that illustrate the subject matter - text-only slides are kept to a minimum. In the skills-building labs, you will gain proficiency with some of the most popular VoIP software, such as Ethereal, Asterisk, and the OnDO SIP Server from Brekeke Software, Inc.
This course includes 1-year access to our 50-book Online Networking Reference Library with titles specially selected to reinforce course concepts.
This course helps you prepare for the Convergence Technologies Professional (CTP) certification as well as our Voice over IP Specialist and Voice over IP Expert Certificates
What You'll Learn
- Core concepts of how Internet Protocol (IP) carries a VoIP packet
- Configure DHCP and DNS to support IP telephony
- Real-Time Transport Protocol (RTP)
- Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) - Call set up, Instant Messaging, Presence
- Session Description Protocol (SDP)
- The H.323 protocol suite, including H.225, RAS, and H.245
- The role of endpoints, gatekeepers, gateways, and MCU in an H.323 network
- SIP proxy, session border controller, and SIP softswitch
- Media Gateway Control Protocol (MGCP) analysis
- MGCP architecture
- A technical comparison of H.323, SIP, and MGCP
- How to implement QoS to ensure the highest voice quality over your IP networks
- The impact of jitter, latency, and packet loss on VoIP networks
- How to use Ethereal to decode and troubleshoot RTP, SIP, MGCP, and H.323 call flows
- Configure the Asterisk Softswitch and OnDO SIP proxy
- Configure SIP gateways and softphones
- Security issues to consider when setting up VoIP
Who Needs to Attend
This class is for people who need to understand VoIP technology. IT managers, technical sales/marketing personnel, consultants, network designers and engineers, product design engineers developing integrated-services products, telecom technicians and managers integrating PBX services within data networks, and systems administrators who will manage a converged network would benefit from this course.