This newly expanded 4-day course is designed for team members who are responsible for the installation, configuration and administration of Microsoft Team Foundation Server 2015. This course teaches not only the technical know-how to successfully run your TFS infrastructure but also best practises based on industry experience.
This course combines both technical presentations as well as hands-on lab exercises designed to ensure attendees gain a solid, practical understanding of how to administer TFS 2015 in modern work environments.
Key topics covered in this course include product installation, configuring security & permissions, reporting, customisation and build automation. We cover both the new Team Build as well as using legacy XAML build infrastructure.
If you’re responsible for looking after your organisation’s TFS server then this is the course for you.
Product and Version Compatibility
- Team Foundation Server or Visual Studio Online: This course focuses on TFS servers hosted within your organization (on-premises). It is not suitable for teams using Visual Studio Online.
- Previous versions of Team Foundation Server: This course is suitable for attendees that are currently using TFS 2013. Much of the course content will be directly applicable to TFS 2013, especially later updates such as updates 3, 4 or 5.
At the completion of this course, attendees will be able to;
- plan your TFS deployment and install TFS 2015 in a variety of topologies
- determine appropriate service accounts
- plan a migration and/or upgrade to TFS 2015
- understand the value of quarterly updates and how to install them
- configure SMTP support and customise email alerts
- keep your TFS data safe using backup and restore
- monitor the health and performance of your TFS instance
- plan your project hierarchies using Team Projects and Team Project Collections
- create, modify, rename and delete Team Projects and Team Project Collections
- configure standard role based security for team projects
- use advanced security to manage fine grained security
- configure version control settings including backward compatibility
- customise the process template to better suit your teams’ requirements
- understand the reporting infrastructure and create custom Excel reports
- configure Data warehouse and OLAP cube refresh and rebuilds
- plan, install and manage the new build environments introduced in 2015
- optimise build infrastructure to provide fast feedback to teams
- install and configure build infrastructure for legacy XAML builds (pre-2015 builds)
This course is designed for administrators and software development professionals responsible for the day to day administration and operation of a Team Foundation Server. Every organisation using TFS should have at least one or two “TFS champions” who are skilled in the topics and areas covered in this course.
This course is also ideal preparation of Microsoft’s 70-496 exam which is part of the MCSD: Application Lifecycle Management certification.