This 3-day course provides Project Managers, Scrum masters and Team leads the essential skills required to effectively manage a software development project using Microsoft Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2015 or Visual Studio Team Services.
This course focuses on Agile methodologies and includes discussions and content focused on both Scrum and Kanban practises.
In this course, attendees will plan a new software development project and go through the steps to initiate the project using Visual Studio 2015. This includes recording requirements, creating a product backlog and estimating effort for backlog items. We’ll cover planning and running a sprint as well as using the taskboard and burndown chart to track progress.
The course also covers using storyboards to prototype experiences, requesting stakeholder feedback, team collaboration and reporting. The final two modules of the course provide an overview of how testers and developers can work effectively using appropriate tools in the Visual Studio family.
This course includes hands-on labs to reinforce practical skills and ensure you’re ready to use the tools on your return to your workplace. All Scrum content adheres to the latest version of the official Scrum Guide and provides helpful preparation for anyone considering gaining Scrum certification.
Product and Version Compatibility
- Team Foundation Server or Visual Studio Online: This course is equally applicable for teams using either Visual Studio Online or on-premises Team Foundation Server.
- Previous versions of Team Foundation Server: This course is suitable for attendees that are currently using TFS 2013. Much of the course content will be directly applicable to TFS 2013, especially later updates such as updates 3, 4 or 5.
At the completion of this course, attendees will be able to:
- Describe the full feature set of Microsoft’s Application Lifecycle Management suite
- Understand how Work Item Tracking (WIT) can be used across the entire team
- Create custom work item queries and work item charts
- Use a variety of client tools to interact with team members
- Initiate a new Team Project in either Visual Studio Online or TFS 2015
- Enter requirements into Visual Studio Online or Team Foundation Server including storyboards to illustrate requirements and experiences
- Use the Kanban board to work with the product backlog
- Record estimates in your requirement types
- Plan and run a sprint including tracking progress using task boards and burndown charts
- Understand a number of the quality indicators available
- Use dashboards to view appropriate groups of reports
- Record team capacity and monitor a team’s velocity
- Capture quality feedback from stakeholders
- Configure alerts and notifications for team members
- Understand the out-of-the-box reports and what they can tell us about our project
- Create ad hoc reports using Microsoft Excel
This course is designed for Project Managers, Scrum masters, Business Analysts and team leaders looking to effectively manage their development projects using either Visual Studio Team Services or Team Foundation Server 2015.